Health & Safety Investigation For Almost Famous After Customer Death?

Health & Safety Investigation For Almost Famous After Customer Death?

Manchester-based burger chain Almost Famous may well be investigated for health and safety failures after a customer died from a dairy allergy as a result of eating a chicken burger marinated in buttermilk.

Shahida Shahid, am 18-year-old maths student at Manchester University, had been informed by staff members that she could eat the chicken burger even after informing them of her allergies, the Manchester Evening News reports.

The inquest jury returned with a verdict of misadventure, ruling that there was a lack of communication between the waiter and the chef, which is what led to Shahida being provided with food that could kill her. Her allergies were noted on the order but were missed several times as the meal was being prepared. It was also concluded that she had not been given the allergy book as she should have been.

A spokesperson from Manchester Council was quoted by the news source as saying: “Our investigation into Almost Famous is still ongoing as we seek to establish if health and safety legislation was breached. Information brought to light during the coroner’s inquest will be considered before we reach a final conclusion.”

Prosecutors previously decided against bringing criminal charges of unlawful killing against one of the Almost Famous chefs. But Manchester Council is continuing an investigation into the restaurant for potential health and safety breaches.

The Food Standards Agency has a section on its website to help food businesses know what information they need to provide to those customers who do have to avoid certain ingredients because of food intolerances or allergies.

There are, for example, chef’s recipe sheets that you can print out and fill in to use at work. These will allow your kitchen staff to log and check allergen information on special and one-off dishes. They can also be particularly useful when you run out of ingredients or find you have to substitute something for something else.

Allergy chef cards may also prove to be useful, which consumers can fill in with allergens that they need to avoid. Customers can then give these back to staff members so they know that the food they’re provided with is safe for them to eat.

It would also be very wise to make sure that your training is up to date for all members of staff – so booking a CIEH food safety level 1 course might be appropriate at this time. This particular course has been designed for people with minimal or no previous food safety training and is suitable for those handling low risk or wrapped food.

Alternatively, you may need to send staff on the level 2 course for catering, suitable for anyone working with food in a setting where food is prepared, cooked and handled.

Avoiding a situation like the one Almost Famous is now facing is avoidable but you do need to be proactive and take matters into your own hands. Get in touch with us today to find out more about the various training courses we provide.